Sand dollars are an extremely flattened, burrowing type of sea urchin. Living sand dollars have sort of velvet like spines which are covered with hairs. They can appear in multiple different colors (such as blue and green) depending on the species. Dead ones are usually just the skeleton turned white by the sun. They have what looks like a flower on the top.
The rest of my family actually found some sand dollars. They were dead though, so they picked them up. I noticed there are usually 5 pores on the top of the skeleton, and bits of sand usually build up inside of it. We had about 11 sand dollar skeletons. Sand dollars are pretty interesting creatures, and I'm glad I decided to find out more about them.
![]() |
| A living sand dollar. |
The rest of my family actually found some sand dollars. They were dead though, so they picked them up. I noticed there are usually 5 pores on the top of the skeleton, and bits of sand usually build up inside of it. We had about 11 sand dollar skeletons. Sand dollars are pretty interesting creatures, and I'm glad I decided to find out more about them.

Comments
Post a Comment